During the meeting, the Prime Minister underlined the need to continue “Jan Bhagidari” and “Jan Andolan” for Covid-19 management.
He said that the five-fold strategy of Testing, Tracing, Treatment, Covid-appropriate behaviour and vaccination would be effective in curbing the spread of the virus if implemented with seriousness and commitment, a statement by the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) said.
The PMO also announced that a special campaign for Covid-appropriate behaviour with emphasis on 100% mask usage, personal hygiene and sanitation at public places /workplaces and health facilities will be organised from April 6 to April 14.
Here’s what PM Modi said during the meeting …
* The Prime Minister highlighted the need to enforce Covid-appropriate behaviour in the coming days and ensure the availability of beds, testing facilities and timely hospitalization, etc.
* He called attention to avoid mortality under all circumstances by ramping up healthcare infrastructure, availability of oxygen, ventilators besides required logistics, and ensuring that clinical management protocols are followed across all hospitals as well as for those in-home care.
* He directed that central teams consisting of public health specialists and clinicians be sent to Maharashtra in view of high caseload and deaths, and likewise to Punjab and Chhattisgarh because of the disproportionate number of deaths being reported there.
* It was especially highlighted the need to ensure effective implementation of containment measures, besides the involvement of community volunteers in active case search and management of containment zones.
* He exhorted that all states need to take required stringent measures with comprehensive restrictions in places witnessing high surge to curb the spread.
* The Prime Minister directed to continue with the mission-mode approach in the states and districts reporting high cases so that the collective gains of Covid-19 management in the country in the last 15 months are not squandered.
* During the meet, a detailed presentation was made which highlighted that there is an alarming rate of growth of Covid-19 cases and deaths in the country with 10 states contributing to more than 91% of cases and deaths due to Covid. It was noted that the situation in Maharashtra, Punjab and Chhattisgarh is of serious concern.
* A brief presentation on the performance of Covid-19 vaccination drive was also made wherein details of the coverage of vaccination in various groups, performance with respect to other countries and analysis of State’s performance was deliberated upon.
The meeting was attended by principal secretary, cabinet secretary, home secretary, chairperson (Empowered group on Vaccine Administration), secretary health, secretary pharmaceuticals, secretary biotechnology, secretary AYUSH, DG ICMR, principal scientific advisor to the government NITI Aayog representatives besides other officials.
2/2 © Reuters. The Kansas State Capitol building in Topeka, Kansas 2/2 (Reuters) – D…