Fact check: Lockdown from May 3-20? Here’s what govt said
Home Latest News Fact check: Lockdown from May 3-20? Here’s what govt said
Latest News - 6 days ago

Fact check: Lockdown from May 3-20? Here’s what govt said


Amid the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic wreaking havoc across the country, several states have imposed restrictions to control the spread. However, a post is doing the rounds on social media that Prime Minister Narendra Modi has again announced a nationwide lockdown from May 3 till May 20 to break the chain of COVID-19 transmission. 
The fact-checking wing of the Press Information Bureau has clarified that no such announcement has been made.
A fake news graphic of a news channel has now gone viral on Whatsapp and other social media platforms with people claiming that PM Modi would again impose a complete lockdown in the country from May 3 to May 20. 
“In a post that has gone viral on social media, it is being claimed that the central government has announced the imposition of a complete lockdown in the country from May 3 to May 20. #PIBFactCheck: This claim is fake. The central government has not made any such announcement,” tweeted PIB.

Earlier on Friday, the government had clarified that there would be no lockdown across the states. As per a notification from the Union Ministry of Home Affairs, states and UTs are advised them to go in for “containment” in districts and areas where the second wave surged.
The ministry directed states and Union Territories to consider containment measures such as restrictions on gatherings, operations of markets, offices, schools and universities, and intensified testing and tracking for immediate implementation based on their assessment of the situation until May 31.
It has suggested intensive, local and focused containment measures in districts and areas with test positivity of 10 per cent and more in the last one week and where more than 60 per cent of oxygen-supported or ICU beds are occupied.




Source link

Leave a Comment

Check Also

Rio Tinto shareholders reject executive pay report in caves blast protest By Reuters

© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: The Rio Tinto mining company’s logo is photographed at their …